Friday, May 24, 2013

Coffee Shop Thoughts

It's chilly and grey this morning, but I am warm in my sweater, and I do not use wireless here, so I expect to get much done. 

The guy next to me is poring over a graphic novel, arrow-shaped post-it flags at the ready. His accent is vaguely Spanish. 

I think about the time I came here and called Mom after. I think I'm holding on okay, and then I remember that she's dead. I wonder why writing in the present tense feels so right.

This coffee is too strong for me. It feels like it has made contact with my face. 

This weather is a preview of fall, when I will be able to do my homework here. I will be able to continue many of my daytime things (kickboxing, daytime park sitting, writing) around my class schedule.

I have a pillow here in my spot. I recline. I think of my aerie around the corner. 

I somehow switched my keyboard to AZERTY. Turning it off turns it back the way I want it.

The music has stilled. I feel sick, too cold without my sweater and too warm with it on. I am barely into my coffee. I think I need to start ordering tea here. It has kicked me in the face every time I have ordered it.

I watch the rain as it hits the flagstones and try to decide how much of a crush I have on the guy sitting in the window. 

THERE IS A DOG HERE. So much for heading home soon.

1 comment: