Thursday, March 26, 2015

Winterson and Silence

Consider Jeanette Winterson's essay "A Work of My Own," in which she writes:

 "My work is rooted in silence. It grows out of deep beds of contemplation, where words, which are living things, can form and re-form into new wholes. [...] It is sometimes necessary to be silent for months before the central image of a book can occur. I do not write every day, I read every day, think every day, work in the garden every day, and recognise in nature the same slow complicity. The same inevitability. The moment will arrive, always it does, it can be predicted but it cannot be demanded. I do not think of this as inspiration. I think of this as readiness. A writer lives in a constant state of readiness."

I often think of the unspoken (and the state of readiness) in specifically pedagogical contexts:
The frenzy (or lack) of participation
Wanting to get your comment in before someone else
Getting beaten to it (by students or professor)
Coming up with new things

 In this environment of intellectual rush, what does slow complicity mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment