Thursday, September 3, 2015

Love Means Never Having to Struggle?

I can't agree with this (and I forget where I got it from - I've had the draft waiting to be written for a while). Here's what I wrote Then: It doesn't allow for the very real presence of difficulty (which is what I read in the word "force") in any passion. Writing is hard. I love it, and I'm good at it, but sometimes it drives me crazy. Does that mean I shouldn't be a writer? Nope. Relationships are hard. I love people and I care about them, but sometimes some of them drive me crazy. Does that mean I shouldn't be loved? NOPE. Let's allow for the very productive role of challenge in life. It's not a bad thing.

Here's what I want to write now: No way, José. Love is beautiful and weird and scary and thrilling and natural and distracting and a work of art and a work of sweat and somehow both unpredictable and predictable at the same time. So go ahead and struggle. Everything of value is worth some struggle. What would life be without it?

No comments:

Post a Comment