Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Hedonic Treadmill

I came across this not too long ago, and I find I am pondering, nearly to distraction, the phrase "hedonic treadmill." (It makes sense. I have several looming deadlines.)

What it sounds like: stagnant level of happiness. Satisfaction that goes nowhere. A gerbil on a wheel.

(The research in the linked article shows that the concept actually doesn't hold water, but I'll set that aside for the moment.)

Phone calls, music, warm weather: all of these things made a walk seem like an event. They all turn the mundane into the special. Maybe that's part of it.

I also think, though, that treadmills are highly beneficial. You might be seeing the same scenery, but your legs are tracing a slightly different pattern as you go, and your body is getting the benefits. A treadmill isn't stagnant at all.

So maybe it's all about perspective after all, as so much of my yoga learning is teaching me (and as I will doubtless find in grad school when it begins again in two weeks). The journey matters less than the way that you view it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Axldemic,

    I've recently started a research project on the hedonic treadmill theory. Much research actually points towards it being reality, if you take a personal set-point into account.
    I think you're right when you say that the treadmill is still beneficial for the body, but think about a person's mind. The reason many runners jog outside (and not on the treadmill) is because they want a change of scenery. Looking at the same things can get very boring, and you get used to your environment very quickly. This is exactly what happens on the hedonic treadmill - you adapt to your new situation and your happiness returns to a pre-event level.
    If you're interested in this, maybe you want to check out my blog :)

    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena, this is so helpful! Thanks for the note. I'll definitely check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete